A very detailed history of SIYC can be found by clicking here. History of the Solomons Island Yacht Club
A photo montage of our history can be found by clicking here.
SIYC History Montage
A brief History Follows
The Solomons Island Yacht Club (SIYC) had its beginning in 1937. At a meeting on June 4, 1937, the Articles of Incorporation and a set of Bylaws were adopted. Forty-one people were elected as the Charter members. The Club’s burgee was selected for its dissimilarity to other Club burgees then in the area, for its ease of recognition on the water, and for the fact that there were no red and yellow combinations in the area.
Early Club meetings were regularly held at various homes and businesses in the area. The first discussion about building as a SIYC Clubhouse occurred at a Board meeting in August 1939.
The Navy’s Mine Warfare Test Center and the establishment of an Amphibious Training Base on the Dowell peninsula brought hundreds of servicemen to the area and the need arose for a USO building. Many SIYC members and local businesses donated to construct a USO Building. The building was designed by architect Katherine Cutler and constructed by the H. S. Trueman Lumber Company in 1944, on land the Club had purchased. The facility was then leased to the USO from 1944 to 1948.
An additional parcel of land was later added to the SIYC property. In those early years, SIYC was the focal point of most activities, both social and civic, in the lower end of the county. The major event of the club’s first years was the Power Boat Regatta. There were 23 regattas in all from 1937 until 1963.
In 1975 the first Annual Easter Sunrise Service was held. In 1983, Dan Barrett started the first SIYC “Friday Night Potlucks”. In 1984, the Board approved an extensive three-phase improvement and expansion program.
The Solomons Sez newsletter was originated in 1982 and is still printed every month for members.
In 1986, SIYC members decorated their boats and paraded at the first Solomons Island Christmas Walk.
In 1993 the membership approved the acquisition of the Thomas Property.
In 1994 SIYC would lay a wreath at the base of the Waterman’s Memorial during the Blessing of the Fleet, and this tradition continues today.
In 1995 the membership approved the purchase of the Harten house, SIYC logo state license plates were made available to club members, and the membership voted to make the Clubhouse a smoke-free facility.
The year 2000 saw new happenings at the Club. The first female Commodore took command and spousal membership was established. The Club also employed the first full-time Club manager.
In 2001 the first web site was established for SIYC.
2009 was truly a growing year for SIYC. In May the T-head of the club pier was renovated. At the September general membership meeting it was voted to proceed with the clubhouse renovation plan. On October 16 there was a ground-breaking ceremony, with the expansion to be built by W/M. Davis, Inc. Plans called for enlarging the upstairs meeting room with an additional bar, enlarging the lower bar area, expanding the kitchen, and adding storage and a new upper and lower deck. On July 3, 2010, a Dedication Ceremony for the new facility was held. 2011 was the first full year of operations in our renovated and expanded clubhouse.
2012 was the 75th anniversary of SIYC which was celebrated at the opening day ceremonies.
The year 2013 found SIYC operating on smooth seas with Commodore Jim Sheperd at the helm. When our club coordinator, Marge Matz ,had a serious injury and unable to perform her duties the members came together to keep the club running smoothly.
2014 under direction of Commodore Mike Buchko the club was again on smooth waters. The quartermaster position was created. A social committee was started highlighting new events for the members. special events included a lobster night and a New England Clam bake. Every effort was made to live up to our claim of The " Friendliest Yacht Club on the Bay".
2015 found the club under e leadership of Robert Luckritz with another year of achievements. The updated website became a useful and helpful tool for the membership. The historical records of the yacht club were digitized. The yearbook was improved with beautiful colored photographs.
In 2016 the was under the leadership of John Simpson. A new big screen TV was bought for the lounge. In March fifty new chairs were purchased. In April, during a hall rental, part of our pier collapsed, however, no serious injuries. The pier repairs were made by summer and plans were drawn up to replace the rest of the pier with work to be completed in 2017. July found refurbished bar stools in the lounge.
Solomons Island Yacht Club, one of the oldest yacht clubs on the bay, has one of the largest burgee displays in its Captain Lounge. Among them is one from the Royal Cork Yacht Club, Cork, Ireland, the oldest Yacht Club in the world (est. 1720). As of November 2016, there are 428 burgees from 35 states in the U. S. and 42 foreign countries. They were provided by SIYC members returning from many world-wide cruising locations and by visiting members from other clubs.